Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bountiful Baskets = Produce co-op

The other best change I've made to my eating habits is getting involved with a produce co-op, which ensures I have a variety of produce in my home, at an affordable price. The more quantity and variety of fresh produce in your diet, the more health benefits you'll see. If you're like me though, I would go to the grocery store and see the price of produce, and unsure of what I'd make out of it, I ended up only buying the staples that I often used. When I heard about Bountiful Baskets, a local produce co-op, where for $15 a week I could get about $45 worth of produce I figured "why not"?! With this co-op I have to remember to get my order in on Monday if I want to pick up on Saturdays, I don't know exactly what will be in it until I pick it up, and I have to go pick it up, and occasionally go early to help distribute the goods. Even with those "inconveniences" I think it's worth it- in fact I LOVE IT! It's kinda like Christmas each week, finding out what's in my basket. And they usually try to throw in one unusual fruit or vegetable. I like it because it forces me to find ways of getting more fresh fruits and vegetable in my diet. And my whole family is learning to be open-minded to new things. Since I always have a fruit bowl- that's where my kids have learned to go for snacks. I end up searching the internet for new recipes to use vegetables and fruit that I would have not other wise purchased.

I know that in the year that I've been participating in Bountiful Baskets it has grown really fast. My even picks up a basket once in a while up in Washington. There are lots of other food co-ops around. Many of them offer local and organic produce as well. So I encourage everyone to look into it. You'll also be supporting smaller, more local, and more environmentally friendly farmers/growers!

I found this recipe on http://www.myrecipes.com/ When I'd gotten cauliflower and red-peppers in my weekly produce basket and was craving a creamy soup. I've made it at least three times now. It's delicious with some chunky bread for dipping.

Cauliflower and Red-Pepper Chowder

COURSE: Soups/Stews
Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
2/3 cup minced shallots (about 4 large)
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups water
6 cups finely chopped cauliflower florets (about 1 head)
2 cups finely chopped red bell pepper (about 2 medium)
1 cup finely chopped peeled red potato
1 bay leaf
1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk (can substitute with greek yogurt, kefir, or coconut milk)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons minced fresh or 1 tablespoon dried basil
5 tablespoons fat-free sour cream (optional)

Preparation
Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots and celery; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Add cauliflower, bell pepper, potato, and bay leaf; return to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in milk and black pepper. Cool slightly; discard bay leaf.
Place 1 1/2 cups soup in a blender or food processor (I used an immersion blender and blended it all); process until smooth. Pour the pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat the procedure with an additional 1 1/2 cups soup. Add the remaining soup to the pureed soup, and stir in basil. Return the soup to the pan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Spoon 2 cups soup into each of 5 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment