Search This Blog

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Adapted Mulligatawny Soup

I was going to make a Mexican dish tonight- but my avocados still weren't quite ripe. I started looking through a file of recipes I'd been wanting to try. Found one that I tweaked a bit and it turned out SOOO yummy. Next time I'll plan ahead and make the Garlic Naan bread I have pinned to go with it! I love Indian food :)

Mulligatawny Soup (Jaime style)

1/2 cup chopped onion
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
oil or butter
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder
4 cups broth (I used chicken cause I was out of vegetable)
1 small apple peeled, cored, and chopped
1/2 cup cooked brown rice (or you could throw in uncooked white- but I had leftovers)
1-2 cups acorn or butternut squash- cubed or smashed- depending what texture you want (I had just roasted acorn squash so I kinda chopped it up, but it mostly blended in and made the soup thick and creamy)
1 small potato cubed
1 pinch of dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste.

Directions: Saute onions, celery and carrots in oil or butter (I used enough olive oil to cover bottom of soup pot) a few minutes or till they start to soften. Add flou and curry and cook a few more minutes- till fragrant and mixed well. Add stock and bring to a boil. While simmering add apple, squash, potato, salt, pepper and thyme. Simmer about 20 minutes or till all veggies/rice are cooked and soup is flavorful.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment